Gathering Strength, Inc., is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt nonprofit corporation located in Louisville, Kentucky.
Gathering Strength’s goals are to help people:
- Improve quality of life.
- Maximize function regardless of disabling condition.
- Improve cardiometabolic factors, such as risk factors for heart disease and diabetes.
- Improve endurance and strength.
- Increase knowledge about how to improve fitness and wellness.
- Increase a sense of belonging and wellbeing.
Gathering Strength works to assure that people with disabling conditions have:
- physically accessible locations for therapeutic exercise.
- accessible equipment for fitness and wellness activities.
- Improved access, regardless of income, to therapeutic physical activity.
- Access to specialized therapeutic exercise interventions such as neuromuscular electrical stimulation.
- Access to activity-based techniques that engage the whole body, regardless of impairment.
- Access to specially trained professionals to assist with therapeutic exercise.
- Information about improving health and wellness, including resources about nutrition, stress reduction, and fitness.
Elizabeth Fust, Founder
Elizabeth Fust is an attorney in Louisville, Ky. She suffered a spinal cord stroke in 2006 and is a T7 paraplegic. Since her injury she has been devoted to raising charitable funds to support spinal cord injury rehabilitation and therapeutic exercise programs for people with disabling conditions in Louisville. In 2018, she decided to start a new nonprofit corporation, Gathering Strength Inc., with the mission to ensure access to therapeutic physical activity for people with disabling conditions.